Monthly Archives: February 2009
Well, not really. Johnston isn’t going to be bailed out by any government.
Johnston Press is the “newspaper equivalent of HBOS and Northern Rock”, according to a union official on the company’s Leeds-based papers, where journalists have voted to go on strike for eight days later this month over compulsory redundancies. MediaGuardian
What survival strategies should these dailies adopt? If some papers don’t survive, how will readers get news about the local school board or county executive?
- Nicholas Lemann, dean of Columbia Journalism School
- Joel Kramer, editor of MinnPost.com
- Steven Brill, founder of The American Lawyer magazine
- Geneva Overholser, Annenberg School of Journalism
- Craig Newmark, founder of craigslist.org
- Andrew Keen, author
- Edward M. Fouhy, founding editor of Stateline.org
- Rick Rodriguez, former editor of The Sacramento Bee
Google has bought a 53 year old Finnish paper mill and will replace it with… a data centre.